I LOVE DELHI – IN ALL ITS VARIOUS FACETS – GOOD, BAD AND UGLY!

My city is a fascinating city – and I wish more people would love it rather than keep complaining about it. Oh, I do agree that it has bad traffic problems, its citizens have major attitude problems and the pollution is enough to make you want to run away. But there is so much to love in this city – there is so much to enjoy here – let me tell you some of the reasons why I feel that there are few places like it!! 1. Music everywhere – it is winter and the music season is becoming very active. Where else can you sit in the Nehru Park and listen to phenomenal musicians such as Amjad Ali Khan, L. Subramanian, Kishori Amonkar and many others for free. Which other city can boast of free Percussion festivals, where you can just sit back among amazing greenery and get lost in the sounds around you. Now they are also going to have a Food Palate festival at Nehru Park. What I love is the fact that during these concerts the audience ranges from the very young to the very old, proving that our music al traditions are not dying or becoming extinct. 2. The food – what can I say about it? There are food walks to sample the immense variety of food available in Old Delhi – from the laddoos at Chaina Ram to the dahi bhallas at Natraj. From the Nihari at Jama Masjid to the 100 varieties of kulfi at other places. And this is only in Chandni Chowk. Move to South Delhi, where I live and every colony has its own sweet shop, its own chaatvala and of course the not to be ignored noodle vans. I am sure all towns have great eating places, but few of them boast of the variety that we provide. 3. History in every corner - everywhere there are old monuments which stand in mute testimony of the centuries that have gone by. Turn a corner and you will find an old tomb nestled next to a market. Walk down one of the many parks in the city and there will be an old broken down mosque there. It is a historical city and everywhere we are witness to the fact that many generations have built for posterity. Try the Khirki Masjid in Saket, visit the Nizammuddin Tomb, spend hours at Humayun’s Tomb, just walk through the very lovely Lodhi Gardens, there is so much to see here. Spend time in my city and you will realise why I love it so much. I have not forgotten the traffic problems, the water and pollution problems, but occasionally forget about them and just enjoy the many pleasures my city offers you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JULIE ANDREW'S 69TH BIRTHDAY SONG

In memory of a very dear friend - SUNITEE SONDHI

George Carlin's Views on Aging