Are we getting older faster or is the world getting younger



As I tried to swim with my grandchildren this evening, I realised that it was really not so easy to do that. The strokes came more slowly, and the desire was to just stand around and watch the children play.
Suddenly there was a sense of having got older - I know, I know, we are older, but somehow age seems to have kept itself at abeyance for some years. So it was like a blast from the past - or from the sky - whichever metaphor we may prefer - hey, you are older !!

So what are the symptoms or symbols of being over sixty - here are some of mine :

1. The shoes are comfortable - they may not be smart, but they are definitely comfortable !! Forget the high heels - those have been delegated to the interiors of the shoe cupboard. The first sign of aching bodies and tired legs - look at the shoes !!

2. Hair Dyes - what would we do without them. One of these days I am going to stop dyeing my hair - for a few months I am going to look like the reverse of a Zebra - half white hair and half black. But just think of the bliss afterwards - no dyeing your hair, no attempts to cover the roots which start looking white and and out of sync with the rest of you.

3. Meals - they become simpler - no complicated menus, no fancy recipes, anything that Dolma 9my apprentice cook) can cook is ok by me. Occasionally the urge is there - then I move my myself to open one of my innumerable cookbooks to find something new to make. It tastes good and sometimes is worth the effort. But honestly, both Pran and myself are very happy to eat a dal, a sabzi and some simple salad. When the children come, of course then the spread is laid out and it is fun to cook and serve.

4. Grandchildren - your life revolves around them. If they say they are coming everything gets dropped, all appointments are canceled and we are at their service. Do not deny it - all of you would do the same

5. Companionship - when you are happy just to be seated with your partner, just watching TV. Words are not really needed to tell each other what we are thinking, you automatically know. Where a certain comfort zone has been achieved and you are not looking for highs and lows, but just for an even keel in a relationship

6. Parent - You have suddenly become your mother's mother. She turns to you to hold your hand , not because you need the support but because she is nervous without your support. Suddenly you are watching her as carefully as she watched you when you were younger, you are tuned to every nuance of her voice. this is valid for all your parents!!

7. Senior citizen benefits - you are allowed the first in line, the airlines let you on the plane first, and the Finance Minister gives you special benefits !!

I will keep adding to this as I go along - but if you have any more suggestions let me know .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JULIE ANDREW'S 69TH BIRTHDAY SONG

George Carlin's Views on Aging

The 7th Decade - is it really so different ?